Dallas, Texas, is a vast city, and you can’t trust just anyone to do work for you. You need to know how to pick a patio contractor so you can get the best work that will last. As the DFW area expands, it’s important to be aware of how to get quality work from a company with a lasting reputation.
We’ve all heard horror stories of hiring a company, and they give you a story that sounds too good to be true. Then they show up, get paid at least half the money, and leave without ever finishing the work. Then you’re left with a disaster and nothing to show for it except an empty bank account.
I want to make sure that this doesn’t happen to you and that you’re informed and you’ll know exactly how to choose a contractor for any of your projects.
How Do I Find A Contractor?
Finding a patio contractor in the Dallas area shouldn’t be hard because there are many around. The first place to start is by asking around with your co-workers, friends, and family. Odds are they have worked with someone in the past and are happy to give you their information.
Next, check online to see what sort of websites there are. Begin researching each company to get to know them and their work a little bit. Check your area chamber of commerce to see what information they have as well.
How Do I Choose A Concrete Contractor?
What if you’re new to the area or aren’t sure where to even begin your research? You’ve decided that it’s time to find a patio contractor and you have no idea where to start. There are a few things you need to consider and look for before making your final decision. Take a look at these tips to look for when choosing:
- Don’t pick the first name you find. You need to do some research and look up contractor reviews. Check all over the internet and see if you see negative reviews or comments. If it’s one or two and they seem minor, then it’s probably okay. But if you find a large amount of negative stuff, that is a huge red flag and you should run the other way.
- Hold an interview with each company that you’re interested in. They are used to this practice if they are a well-known company. This can be done over the phone, or you can meet them in person. Get a feel for how the business is conducted, and you’ll know if you can work together efficiently.
- Choose a company that has an office you can visit. Having a brick and mortar store shows that you can quickly drop in and visit with someone as needed. If you hire a contractor that’s impossible to get ahold of, they can make themselves even more scarce if they haven’t done their job well.
- How long has the patio contractor been doing this work? Experience is extremely important. While someone just starting out can be a whiz and do a great job, it’s better to opt for someone who is an expert. Finding someone who knows what they’re doing is a great start to finding the best paver patio contractors. You’ll get the best bang for your buck and have a gorgeous patio when they’re done. In our case, we’ve been in the patio business for 35 years and counting!
- Ask for estimates. It’s more than fine to get a few estimates from contractors. If they are serious about the work, they will be happy to take the time to get you an estimate. If they don’t, then you already know that they aren’t interested. Getting prices will tell you a lot because it shows you how they do business right from the start.
- Verify they have proper insurance coverage. The last thing you need or want is a company with no coverage or inadequate coverage working on your property. It could be a lawsuit waiting to happen, and it’s just not a good idea. If they are a good contractor, they will happily show proof of coverage and follow the insurance rules provided by the state they are in.
Do You Need A License To Install Pavers?
Most states have their own regulations as to licensing requirements. It’s always best to check with your local city office and state to find out if it’s required or not.
Whether you simply want pavers installed or other work done, it’s always a good idea to hire someone that has a license regardless of if it’s required or not. If you hire someone to put in pavers that aren’t licensed they could be violating the rules, and neither of you needs that.
Do You Tip Contractors?
No, it’s not necessary to tip contractors. You can always give them a tip if you find it in your budget and you are very happy with their work. But don’t feel obligated to do so. When they write up the estimate for you, the labor they are putting in is included in that.
The owner of the business will divide up the money that’s paid to who it needs to go to. You don’t’ have to worry about paying extra unless you just want to. Most contractors aren’t expecting a tip even if they do the best job imaginable.
You’ll find that once the work has been completed and you have found the perfect patio contractor, it will be worth the wait. You’ll be able to sit back and enjoy your new relaxing patio.
Precision Pavers has been serving the DFW area for 35 years and is one of the few Belgard-authorized contractors in the area. We’d love the opportunity to earn your business!