Your home is your sanctuary. It should be a place where you can unwind and relax in comfort and style. Your home is not just confined to four walls inside though.
Creating a beautiful yard is an extension of your home. The fact is, spending time in nature relieves stress and anxiety so why wouldn’t you want a beautifully designed space to spend your leisure time?
We have put together a list of the best hardscape ideas for your yard. You will be the envy of your neighbors with these stunning transformations.
1. Edible Gardens
Having an edible garden means that you are in control of how your food is produced. You can grow your produce and herbs free from any harmful pesticides or hormones that can be found on grocery store fruits and veggies.
Choosing beautiful and fragrant herbs will elevate the appeal of your yard. Consider growing the following for a luscious and bountiful garden:
- Lavender – For aroma and color or to brew in a tea
- Heirloom Tomato – These varietals come in many shapes and colors
- Rainbow Carrots – These are beautiful colors and have beautiful green tops
- Eggplant – Bright purple tones are gorgeous and they’re versatile for cooking
- Rosemary – This aromatic herb is easy to grow and looks beautiful
Play around with different plants and herbs until you find the mix that is right for you. When you decide on what you want to grow you should make the garden an attention grabber. Create a unique grow box or even a beautiful greenhouse to elevate the look of your garden.
2. Paved Pathways
An empty yard is a blank canvas. Sometimes the easiest place to start is from the ground up. A simple pathway leading from your patio to a tree swing or to an outdoor sitting area is a great way to beautify your yard.
There are many options for paving your yard though. Let’s take a look at some options for paving a beautiful pathway.
- Travertine – These pavers are unique in their design. Generally, they are only cut in a triangle or square shape. They are durable and able to withstand harsh weather conditions. Read more about these pavers to see if they are right for you.
- Ceramic Tile – These tiles come in a variety of shapes and colors. A major downfall is that they become very slippery when wet and can lead to falls. Furthermore, you should use caution if you live in an area that has freezing temperatures as the tiles are prone to cracking.
- Concrete – Concrete pathways are an expensive choice. That being said they do not add much to the aesthetic of your yard. You will likely need to add a sealant to the slab and cleaning can be challenging.
Find the paver that suits your style and your needs. Consider the weather in your area before making a final choice.
Nothing says comfort like cozying up to a nice fire. A well-placed fire pit in your yard could be a focal point for your next party.
Consider making the firepit as versatile as possible. With the right construction, your pit could double as an outdoor cooking option.
Try building the firepit with unique stones surrounding the base. If your fire-making skills are limited consider purchasing a propane firepit.
Surround the pit with comfortable seating and small tables to make it convenient for you and your guests to socialize. Your fire pit will double as a retro conversation pit.
4. Updated Patio
Don’t settle for outdated plastic seating or uninspired decor. Make your patio the highlight of your yard!
If you live in an area that has limited patio space simple updates can help you make the most of the area. Try planting tall sawgrass or hedges around the patio for more privacy and seclusion.
If you live in a sunny area consider installing a retractable awning for days where you need a little more shade.
Installing various water features can turn your space into an outdoor oasis. Here are some options for your yard:
- Small Streams – Create a small stream along the perimeter of your yard to create a unique aqua border.
- Waterfall – Waterfalls are a breathtaking addition to any yard. The sounds of the fall will add a sense of tranquility to the space.
- Koi Pond – Nothing says classic like a Koi pond. The unique fish ponds date back to 71AD and will certainly be a conversation starter.
6. Garden Dining
Beautiful dinner outside is a perfect way to spend your summer. Coupling that with cooking a meal from your own garden and you will have a recipe for a great evening.
Try building a dining area in your backyard that allows you to get the best view of your paradise. Consider seating that is large enough to host guests while also allowing for intimate dining.
Adjustable tables are a great option for outdoor dining. Also, remember to have optional shade such as umbrellas over the table.
7. Bold Entrances
Make the entryway into your Eden a spectacular one! The entryway is just the beginning of your gorgeous yard.
Here are a few options for a bold entrance:
- A flower-filled archway
- Unique hanging lanterns leading to the yard
- A lavender-lined walkway
- Vine covered trellis
Chose an entryway that suits your style and vibe. Keep it balanced and welcoming.
8. Gorgeous Gazebos
Gazebos have been staples in backyards and gardens for years. Not only do they provide shade and space to relax, but they also are a great focal point for yards.
A gazebo can pull the yard together, taking a bland yard and turning it into a backyard paradise. Gazebos are versatile outdoor rooms that serve many purposes.
You can use your gazebo to host dinner parties, relax after a long day, or even turn it into an outdoor art studio.
9. Zen Garden
For the ultimate peace and tranquility-filled yard consider a zen garden.
Zen gardens originated in medieval Japan and have since stood the test of time. These gardens are renowned for bringing relaxation and focus to those who tend them.
You will need materials like gravel and sand and a few larger stones to build your garden. Once the garden is built you can unwind by maintaining the zen garden at your leisure.
Creating an elegant stone stairway to the upper level of your yard will add contrast and dimension to your space.
Try using a variety of different stones for a rustic-inspired stairway. Lining the stairs with a variety of greenery will make the staircase pop with color.
With these beautiful hardscape ideas, you will have an oasis in no time. Write down a list of things that you would like to have in your yard and go from there. Don’t be afraid to let your personality shine!